This rich, dark chocolate cake is high in protein and nutrients like zinc and essential fatty acids (linoleic and oleic fatty acids). Because of its richness, serve it with a light, fruity sauce or sliced fresh strawberries. Watch the baking time closely. Test for doneness after about 35 minutes. If the top of the cake feels jiggly to the touch it needs more time, if not, pull it out.
- 2 cups pumpkin seed flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 1/5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large organic eggs
- 2/3 cup honey (or agave nectar)
- 1/3 cup grape seed oil
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the pumpkin seed flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, oil, coconut milk, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place pan on the centre rack in the oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes.
- Cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then run a knife around the edge of the pan and flip cake onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. It is delicious served with mashed rasberries and a drizzle of agave nectar!