Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- 2 sweet potatoes
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried parsley
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 2-3 egg whites, beaten
- 6 eggs (or more if needed)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil (olive, coconut, bacon fat, etc)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees to get your sweet potatoes baked.
- Use a fork to poke holes all around each one of your sweet potatoes.
- Throw the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, throw in the oven, and bake for 25 35 minutes or until soft to the touch. (the time will range depending on the size of the sweet potatoes)
- In a large bowl, add your sweet potatoes and use a fork or masher to mash the sweet potatoes until smooth. Add your dried cranberries, parsley, onion, and salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly then taste to see if you want to add any more spices.
- Now add 2 egg whites that were beaten to your sweet potatoes and mix well. I say 2-3 on the ingredients because you may need 3 if your sweet potatoes are large. To figure out what how many you need, try to use your hands to clump up a patty, if it sticks to your hands completely, you need an extra egg white.
- Now make 6 or more patties from your sweet potato mixture.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil in it, then add your patties. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes or until they have a nice outside crisp to them.
- Now grease an 8×8 glass baking dish or whatever works for you then add your cooked patties to baking dish.
- Use a spoon to push down in the middle of each patty just enough that when you crack an egg on top, it will stay on your patty.
- Crack eggs directly on top of sweet potato cakes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until yolk is cooked to preference.
- While the eggs are baking, add your sliced onions directly to your hot greased skillet and let those caramelize in the meantime. My caramelization means burnt, but cook onions to what you love.
- Top caramelised onions on top of baked eggs on sweet potato cakes.