- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or dried basil
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste or ajvar relish
- ½ cup water
- ½ lb cottage cheese
- 7 oz. shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry onion and garlic in butter or olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the ground beef and keep frying. Add oregano or basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato paste, pesto or ajvar relish – use what you have on hand. Add water. Lower the heat and let simmer for at least 20 minutes. While the meat simmers, make the dough for the crust.
- Mix all the dough ingredients in a food processor for a few minutes until the dough turns into a ball. If you don’t have a food processor, you can mix by hand with a fork.
- Place a round piece of parchment paper in a well-greased springform pan—about 10 inches in diameter—to make it easier to remove the pie when it’s done. (You can also use a deep-dish pie pan.) Spread the dough in the pan and up along the sides. Use a spatula or well-greased fingers.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10-15 minutes. Take it out of the oven and place the meat in the crust. Mix cottage cheese and shredded cheese together, and layer on top of the pie.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes on lower rack or until the pie has turned a golden color.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and dressing.